Monday, October 8, 2012

Beholding Yosemite

I've never been much of a climber even though I've participated several times. All the knots, and gear, and fancy french words, and standing around in a sack pinching harness never really appealed to me. Way back in 2000, during the Pre 9/11 Era, I was planning a grand vacation to learn a new sport. It was either Thailand for climbing in Phuket or Costa Rica to really get this surfing thing down. I chose wisely and went off to Costa Rica and surfed my balls off for a month. The next year I spent 3 months down there and surfed my face off. But I've always been a fan of climbing for some reason. Not that I really want to do it...that's too much commitment to gear and stupid new shoes. But standing in front of El Capitan in Yosemite makes life's bullshit seem small compared to conquering a giant chunk of granite. Looking at dudes living on a wall for a few days and pooping into PVC pipes that they carry up with them is a massive amount of commitment. Good for them. Pretty rad to see.

1 comment: